A Small Town With A BIG History
Established in 1848 and name after one of our town's pioneer hometown of Comber, Ireland.
30 Minutes From Windsor!
Located 1 km from the 401, you could be in Windsor in 30 Minutes
Duncan McAlister was an enterprising business man and a competent merchant. He was also engaged in grain trade and milling and later farming and stock raising. He was postmaster of Comber, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public and issuer of marriage licences. He owned and operated the general store in Comber and the store is noted for carrying a superior stock embracing all kinds of staples and fancy dry goods, dress goods and millinery a specialty. In 1867 he bought the south half of Lot 7, Middle Road South, the property of Alex Cameron and also the property of the deceased Henry Richenback. In 1876 he built one of the finest homes in the township at a cost of $4000.
It was approximately 1948 or 1949 that Cecil Robinson moved to Comber and opened the first official funeral home in town (as funeral services prior to the end of WWII were conducted out of the deceased’s home). In November 1949, Paul Reaume took over the operation of the funeral home, until it was moved to its new location in 1969.
From 1969 to 1997, the home was a private residence, until it was turned into a bed and breakfast – called This Old House B&B. Through the years, this house has also been used as a travel agency, an ice cream parlour, a craft and yarn store and a garden center.
In 2009, the Damphouse family purchased This Old House B&B, and completely, gutted, restored and redesigned its vision – the birth of The Iron Kettle Bed and Breakfast.
On July 27th, 2013, Benjamin Leblanc-Beaudoin and Ginette Tremblay spent their wedding night at the B&B, and later found out it had been for sale. On April 16th 2014, they moved in…and their story is presently being written at 7005 County Rd. 46.